Add the LTI v1.3 app as a Canvas admin
Please note that while we continue to support the use of LTI v1.1 with ScreenPal, we will no longer be developing ScreenPal feature updates for this version.
Use of the LTI app is only supported for Team Business and Team Education plans.
Create a Developer Key
First, Canvas requires you to create a Developer Key, which defines how and where ScreenPal can be accessed and what data in can access.
1. To begin, log into Canvas as an administrator.
2. On the left, click Admin, and select the name of your organization.
3. From the Admin menu, click Developer Keys.
4. Click the + Developer Key button in the top right and select LTI Key.
The Key Settings page is displayed:
5. Enter a Key Name. For example, ScreenPal LTI 1.3.
Note: If you were previously using LTI version 1.1, be sure to give your Developer Keys unique names that will easily differentiate them from one another.
6. For Owner Email, enter your email address.
7. You can leave the Redirect URIs field blank.
8. From the Method list, select Enter URL.
10. Click Save in the bottom right corner.
Key Settings closes and you will see the Developer Key that you just created displayed in the list.
11. Click the Edit (pencil) icon next to the Developer Key you just created.
12. On the Key Settings page, if the form appears blank, set the Method field to "manual".
13. Confirm that the Redirect URIs field now contains the following value: https://screenpal.com/lti-1p3/launch
14. Close Key Settings by clicking Cancel.
15. Turn the key on, by switching the State toggle to the on position:
16. Next, copy the value in the Details column. This is your Client ID and will be needed later in the configuration process.
Admins: Add the ScreenPal LTI 1.3 app to Canvas
1. From the Admin menu, click Settings.
2. Click the Apps tab at the top of the page and then click the View App Configurations button.
3. Click the + App button in the top right.
This opens the Add App dialog:
4. For Configuration Type, select By Client ID.
5. For Client ID, enter the value you copied in step 15 above.
6. Click Submit.
You should now see the ScreenPal LTI 1.3 application in your installed apps list.
7. Click the gear icon on the right side of this row and select Deployment ID. This opens a dialog box that displays your Deployment ID for the ScreenPal LTI 1.3 app.
8. Copy the Deployment ID value and then click Close.
Configure the LTI 1.3 settings in ScreenPal
1. Log into ScreenPal as a Team Admin.
2. Click your user badge in the top right corner and select Settings from the menu.
3. From the menu on the left, click Integrations.
4. Click the Add Integration button in the top right corner of the page.
5. For Integration Name, enter a unique name for the integration. In this case, you could enter ScreenPal LTI 1.3 for Canvas, for example.
6. For Integration Type, select LTI v1.3 from the drop-down list. This displays additional fields.
7. From the LMS Type list, select Canvas.
8. For Deployment ID, enter the value that copied from step 8 in the Add the ScreenPal LTI 1.3 app to Canvas section above.
9. For Client ID, paste the value you copied in step 15 of the Create a Developer Key section (above).
With Canvas, the other fields (including Issuer, Auth/Access Token URL, Auth Login URL, and Key Set URL) are automatically filled with the correct values.
10. Click Save.
That's it! You have successfully installed the ScreenPal LTI version 1.3 app for Canvas and connected it to your ScreenPal Hosting account.
Add ScreenPal content to your courses as a teacher
If you are a teacher with a ScreenPal account, you can add and use the ScreenPal LTI app to your Canvas instance courses without an admin. Read the instructions below or watch a video tutorial on how teachers can add the ScreenPal LTI app.
1. Select Courses and then click Settings. Click the Apps tab.
2. If the ScreenPal app is already displayed in the list, no further action is needed. If it is not, click View App Configurations.
3. Click +App in the top right.
4. Enter the following in the configuration screen that is displayed:
- For Configuration Type, select By URL
- For Name, enter ScreenPal
- Enter the following URL for Config URL: https://screenpal.com/lti/xml
- You can leave the Consumer Key and Shared Secret fields blank.
4. Click Submit.
As a teacher, you've now added the ScreenPal LTI app to your course. You can click on the icon shown below in the rich text editor to add screen recordings, channels, or a ScreenPal screen recorder that your students can submit their own recordings with.
Please note that if you click the ScreenPal icon while creating or editing an assignment and you are either not currently logged into ScreenPal, or you have not yet used LTI version 1.3, you will be prompted to enter a verification code. This code will be sent to the email address associated with your ScreenPal account. Enter it correctly to proceed with adding ScreenPal content.