Our application integrates with many learning management systems via the Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) standard. This article will help with the setup and use of our LTI app version 1.1 with the D2L Brightspace for administrators and teachers. For information about how to set up version 1.3 of the LTI app with ScreenPal, see Set up ScreenPal LTI version 1.3 with D2L/Brightspace
Copy your Consumer Key and Secret from ScreenPal
In order for users on your team to access the features of your plan, a Team Owner or Administrator must configure the LTI app within ScreenPal. To do this, complete the steps below:
1. Log into your account as an Owner or Administrator.
2. Click your user icon (
) and then click Settings
3. From the sidebar on the left, click Integrations.
4. Click the Add Integration button. Clicking this button displays additional controls.
5. For Integration Name, enter a unique name for the integration you are adding. For example, ScreenPal LTI v1.1.
Please note that you can have multiple integrations of the same type, so the name for each one must be distinctive.
4. For Integration Type, select LTI v1.1 Plugin from the list.
5. Copy the Key and Secret values in their respective fields. Copy these values into an application like Notepad, so you can use them back in the Brightspace application.
Note: These values are unique to your Team account and should not be shared with anyone outside of your team.
Add the LTI version 1.1 app as a D2L Brightspace admin
You can use the LTI version 1.1 app for your team to access your Team Plan tools, as well as the additional features provided in a Team Plan (quizzes, embedding a video in a channel, adding a screen recorder button for student assignments, adding a video to an assignment, and so forth).
1. Log into Brightspace as an administrator.
2. Click External Learning Tools (LTI).
3. At the top of the page, click Manage Tool Providers (Legacy).
4. Click the New Tool Provider button. This opens the New Tool Provider page.
5. Enter the following information:
- Launch Point: https://screenpal.com/lti/xml
- Version: Select Inherit Global 1.1
- OAuth Signature Method: Select HMAC-SHA256
- Secret and Key: Enter the values you copied from ScreenPal in step 5 in the previous section.
- Name: Enter a unique name for the tool. For example, ScreenPal LTI version 1.1.
- Under Visibility, select the check box for Allow users to use this tool provider.
6. Scroll down to Security Settings, select Use link security settings, and then and make sure that the following items are selected:
8. Under Make tool provider available to, select the checkbox next to Current Org Unit.
9. Click the Add Org Units button. This opens the Add Org Units page.
10. Select the checkbox next to all units in the list and then click Insert.
11. Click Save and Close.
1. Go back to the Brightspace homepage and click External Learning Tools (LTI) again.
2. Ensure you are on the Manage Tool Links (Legacy) tab.
3. Click the New Link button.
4. Enter the following information:
- For Title, enter a unique name for the link that will enable your users to identify it. For example, enter ScreenPal LTI version 1.1.
- URL: https://screenpal.com/lti/xml
- Under Visibility, select the checkbox for Allow users to view this link.
- Under Key/Secret, select the checkbox for Sign messages with key/secret with and then select the Tool consumer key/secret radio button.
5. In the Key and Secret fields, enter the values you copied from ScreenPal in step 5 of the first section of this article.
6. Under Security Settings, select Use link security settings, and then select the following options:
7. Under Make link available to, select the checkbox for Current Org Unit.
8. Click the Add Org Units button.
9. Select the checkbox next to all org units in the list (you can use the select all checkbox in the first row/column to do this quickly). When you're finished, click Insert.
10. Click Save and Close.
That's it! Teachers can follow the same process within a specific course when they are logged into Brightspace. Teachers will need to repeat the process to add the LTI 1.1 app for each course.
Teachers: Add ScreenPal to your course as a Teacher
To add ScreenPal to a D2L Brightspace course or assignment, the ScreenPal LTI app must already have been configured by your Team Owner or Administrator.
You can add our app as an activity in any Brightspace course module by completing these steps:
1. From the menu at the top of the course, click Content.
2. From the Table of Contents on the left, select an existing module, or create a new one.
3. Within the module, click the Existing Activities drop-down list. Select External Learning Tools.
Result: The Add Activity dialog opens.
4. Click ScreenPal to add the app as an activity.
5. Back on the course page, click the drop-down arrow next to ScreenPal and select Edit Properties in Place
6. Enter a title, due date, and description for the activity.
7. Open the activity you just created by clicking the drop-down arrow next to the title again and selecting View Topic.
Note: If you are not currently logged into ScreenPal, or you have not previously used LTI version 1.3, you will be prompted to enter a verification code.
This code will be sent to the email address associated with your ScreenPal account. Enter it correctly to proceed with adding ScreenPal to your course.
8. Click the Channel tab.
9. Select the channel that you'd like your students to be able to view and then click Embed Channel.
When your students access this activity, only the selected video channel will be available for viewing.
10. To add the recorder for student assignments, click the Channel Recorder tab, and then select the channel where you want your students' videos to be uploaded.
11. Click Embed Channel Recorder.
That's it! Students can now access this activity and create their own videos for the assignment. The videos they create can only be uploaded to the channel you selected.